Sunday, May 04, 2008

You Can Grill Tofu!

About a week ago my husband said he wanted shish-kabobs. Beef. Joy.
Okay, I can do that. Plus, here's my chance to see if it works - can I grill tofu?
Since I'm always baking tofu after marinating it in some thing or another, I thought we'll see.

I decided on a teriyaki marinade. I cubed his beef, marinated that. I took chilis, red and yellow peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, scallions and marinated those. I drained half a block of nigari tofu (always use non-gmo tofu!) and cut it in 1.5 inch cubes. Marinated that. All over night.

I put everything on the grill (of course the tofu kabobs were on a separate cleaned grate from the beef) - after it was cooking I realized the veggies were grilling ahead of the meat. Tofu was holding its own. I realized the grilling recipes I'd referred to all said high direct heat but they were for meat only.

Tofu was a little dry, but the grilled outside was actually pretty interesting. And it was tasty. I will play with the recipe some more to figure out if grilled tofu is inherently dry or ?

Nex time though I'll 'kabob' the beef and tofu cubes and do the veggies separately in my grilling wok.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Ok, I have to try that. I'm sure it will be my job to clean off part of the grill, but that's OK.

I am thinking if trying some with BBQ sauce and some with the teriyaki.