Friday, April 25, 2008

My friend Karyn started making her own baked tofu. I love baked tofu, but usually buy it. However, if I'm going to do this - go veg - I need to find a substitute for buffalo wings. Okay, to the drawing board (or in this case, to the tofu aisle).

When you buy tofu make sure it's organic. The best tofu to use for baking (for a chewy texture) is nigari tofu. It's organic, not packed in water (or whatever that stuff is!), and freezes well.

Buffalo "wings":

1 brick nigari tofu sliced into 'fingers' - your choice of size
Frank's red hot buffalo sauce (or Crystal's)
Panko crumbs
Parmesan cheese

Drain the tofu (I put down some paper towels, put the sliced tofu on top and put my heavy cutting board on top of that) for about 30-60 minutes.
Put the tofu into a ziplock bag (or other container). Add enough Frank's sauce to coat the tofu. Marinate overnight.
Put some foil on a baking sheet. spray with Pam. You can bake off the tofu at this point or you can 'take it up a notch'. Dredge the tofu in the panko crumbs, put onto the baking sheet, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
Bake in an oven 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

I have buffalo tofu marinating right now since I loved yours so much!
I didn't have any Frank's or Crystal's, so I poured Ken's Buffalo Sauce over 1/2 my block of nigari tofu.
The rest of the tofu is marinating in Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. I've never tried it on tofu before, so I have my fingers crossed that it will be good.